Mold is probably one of a homeowner’s worst nightmares. It causes an unpleasant, pungent odor as well as dark growths on walls, floors and ceilings. Mold growth is not always so obvious. There are several things that could indicate you have mold or that a specific place in your home might be a prime habitat for growth.
- Musty odors
-Mold is typically accompanied by an unpleasant odor. If your home persistently smells musty, there is a good possibility there is mold somewhere. Follow the odor to where it is strongest, find the mold and remove it. If the mold is in an unreachable area, like inside walls, you will need to call in a professional to help you remove it.
-There are many varieties of mold which can make it difficult to identify the type solely on a visual inspection. The growth can be fuzzy and dark looking more like a stain or it can be several colors including black, white, orange, green or brown. Take some time to identify areas of your home that are prone to moisture and inspect them for possible signs of mold growth. The fungus thrives in cool, damp areas so it will be easier to find it by limiting your search to places that are affected by excess moisture.
-Poor health can be a sign of excess mold in a home. Symptoms of mold include a constantly runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, dizziness, headaches and even memory loss. While these symptoms are the sign of other health issues such as the common cold, if you are only symptomatic within your home, mold could be the culprit.
-Excess moisture on your windows or condensation dripping from your pipes can mean excess moisture in your home. Dehumidifiers are a good solution to reduce excess moisture.
Water Problems-If your home ever had standing water problems, whether a toilet overflowed or a sewer backed up, it is at risk for mold. The best places to look are areas where water remained for a long time. If your home has ever flooded, mold could grow underneath the flooring and behind walls.