Cleaning up most messes is pretty easy. You spill something, you wipe it up. You drop something and it breaks, you pick up the pieces and throw it away. Something gets stained, you ask grandma the best remedy for that particular substance and you’re good to go. However, cleaning mold is a completely different kind of monster. Mold isn’t like a spill. You can’t just spray some cleaner on it, wipe it up and expect it to be gone for good. If you’re a homeowner who is experiencing a mold problem, here are a few mistakes to avoid to ensure you eradicate the problem for good on the first try.
Don’t Assume Bleach is the Answer
According to Moldpedia (yes, it exists), the products to use for mold removal are substances like bleach, borax, vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, detergent, baking soda, tea tree oil and even grapefruit seed extract. One would think a good dose of bleach to any surface would kill just about anything lurking there; however, contrary to popular belief, bleach is actually quite ineffective on porous surfaces. And in order to completely rid a surface of mold, you have to get every last piece.
Paint Won’t Solve Anything
Much like putting newspaper over a spill and assuming it will just go away, the same can be said for painting over mold. When you paint over mold, it will continue to grow underneath the surface until it once again breaks through. Mold resistant paint should only be used when the surface has been thoroughly cleared of all mold.
Don’t Help it Spread
One potential hazard that can occur during a mold clean-up is spores spreading to different areas and causing even more outbreaks. Always ensure that when cleaning mold, there is adequate ventilation and the work area itself is sealed off from other areas. Always remember to remove the outer layer of your clothes before stepping out of the room and making sure all infected materials and well as your clothing is sealed properly in plastic bags.